Thursday 5 October 2017

The boring bits pay off

Yesterday I shared how much I dislike prepping fabric for creative projects, and how I possibly overdosed myself on doing it for nearly 6 hours!   Well, today after dropping my lad off for the school bus, I went home with the intention of making one of the aprons for a friend, which we had discussed several weeks ago and I filed in my 'get round to it later' pile, which is a dangerous place to be!  No more - I really am trying to finish up my WIPs in a futile attempt to make room in the house for future WIPs :)   This project was a priority because the recipient is one of the best cake makers in the world, as well as being my crochet (and birthday) buddy, plus the fact she was feeling under the weather and it's always nice to receive a gift when you least expect it and it's guaranteed to cheer you up if you're feeling a bit 'woolly' (especially as my track record for completing gifts is pretty pants to say the least, so it's always bound to be a surprise). 



The pattern I used is the Emmeline apron by Sew Liberated - it is my favourite apron pattern as whilst it does take some work, it also looks mighty fine when it's finished and lasts forever, whatever you throw at it, because it's double-layered - reversible see!


The only thing we really did discuss was the piece of fabric with roses and butterflies,which she already had in her stash and wanted included if possible.  The rest she left to me (my friend is very trusting).  As C is a baker, I almost did a somersault when I saw the lovely stripey fabric, and seeing as I somehow managed to smuggle my entire stash back to the UK without my husband noticing (ok, he did notice a bit, but it was too late once I'd wedged it into the packing boxes) I knew I'd have something in there to match C's lovely fabric, and indeed I did and I like the colour-blocked effect very much indeed.

The whole thing took me about 4 hours to make - it would have taken slightly less, but it's necessary to hand-stitch the binding to the bodice and it took me longer than expected because I couldn't see too clearly because it was rather dimpsy today and I'm still learning to drive my new vari-focals,  It all got done in time for me to hand deliver the apron though.  The look of sheer happiness on C's face when she unfolded the apron made all the boring prep business fade away in time (also relief for me that I'd made something she's happy to wear, which is very important obviously).  I love making things, but making something for somebody special, who really appreciates the work that went into it and is happy with the result is even more lovely.

So, two happy people sat contentedly, sipping tea, crocheting and chatting away for a couple of hours, what a perfect way to spend the rest of the day.

Boring bits ...what boring bits?  :)

Larissa x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Violets and Pinks

Just a few little musings today as I try to ease myself back into blogging. I really enjoy writing, but I must admit with working fiv...