Sunday 8 October 2017

Festival of Light


Ooooh - we have an outside broadcast today :)   Or rather, tonight as it was part of the Festival of Light at Robin Hill on the Island.  The theme was Indian 'Diwali' which is the Hindu festival of light. 

To be honest I wasn't expecting too much as the description I had been given was 'it's trees being lit up at night-time', plus we had a new teenager coming with us who would have much rather been spending time on the computer, so it was touch and go as to how 'light' the evening would be.   It was, however, very beautiful.  I am a sucker for fairy lights anyway, add in lovely colours, brightly patterned animals, climbing nets and a falconry and owl display and you have one very happy mother!   There's also a mesh bridge spanning between 2 of the paths, and obviously the way to keep a teenager happy is to let him bounce said bridge up and down whilst terrifying his mother in the process.   I think that was the best part of the evening for him :)


The other part that brought great joy was climbing the Squirrel Tower, which is a spiralling, tall tower you climb up the inside of using cargo nets - you can just make out the 3 boys walking ahead to the start in the pic above; I stayed behind as I knew I would be slower.  About halfway up I froze, at the same time as realizing I had the same distance to travel up or down and I just forced myself to keep moving.  My son came down to look for me I took so long! But I'm really proud of myself I did it.


One part of the walk through the trees was called 'Spiritual India' and I did feel really peaceful here, I don't know if it was the music playing or the more subtle effect of the lighting under the trees, but it was just so calm.  I love walking about at night-time anyway!


I hope the pictures do the festival justice - they say so much more than I can with words alone. 

I particularly like the picture of the tree with the purple up-lighting - I can almost see a man standing tall with outstretched arms - brings new meaning to the tree of life!

Larissa x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Violets and Pinks

Just a few little musings today as I try to ease myself back into blogging. I really enjoy writing, but I must admit with working fiv...